Founded in 2003, the Bonner Jazzchor has dedicated itself from birth to filling a musical niche in its home town: Vocal Jazz Pop – a blend that stays fresh and inspired through infusions of new elements gathered at festivals, workshops and coaching sessions.
Since the ensemble's founding, the 35 singers have come a long way: with regular concerts in the region, the Bonn natives also perform beyond the borders of the Rheinland and have garnered numerous national and international successes – both on and off the competition stage. Recent highlights include a 2014 Contemporary A Capella Recording Award (CARA) nomination for best Folk/World Song, 2nd Prize at the renowned Aarhus Vocal Festival international competition in 2011, and 3rd Prize at the German National Choral Competition in 2010.
Thanks to musical director and successful jazz musician Sascha Cohn, inspiration, a polished sound and positive vibrations are always guaranteed. The BJC repertoire pairs jazz and swing standards with singer-songwriter ballads, groovy funk, catchy and innovative arrangements of German folk songs, as well as a couple of new surprises. This multifaceted blend of intoxicating harmonies, chilled-out grooves and breathtaking dynamics makes the Bonner Jazzchor what it is – an audience favourite – and not just in Bonn.
The choir has fine-tuned its musical expression in workshops and coaching sessions with:
• Katarina Henryson and Anders Jalkéus (The Real Group)
• Roger Treece
• Jens Johansen (Vocal Line)
• Malene Rigtrup and Morten Kjaer (Vocal Line)
• Matthias Becker (Soundsation; VoKal ToTal)
• Andrea Figallo (Wise Guys, formerly Flying Pickets)
• Hans Cassa and Sanne de Waard (Montezumas Revenge)
• Anne Kohler (former conducter of Vivid Voices, PopUp)
• Panda van Proosdij
• Jesper Holm (Touché)
• Mike Haarman (Drums, Perc., Bonn)
• Mette Maargaard (formerly Vocal Line)
• Line Groth (Postyr, Vocal Line)